Long Time Fan First Time Owner - Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Long Time Fan First Time Owner

Hello All! I just bought my first corvette yesterday! While I have loved Corvettes since I was young ('73 urethane front, chrome bumper rear, and yes I saw it when it was new ;-) ) this is my first foray into ownership. I have owned many performance cars over the years:

1. '72 Charger SE
2. '69 AMX
3. '70 AMX
4. '75 Camaro
5. '73 240Z
6. '83 280 ZX
7. '88 300 ZX turbo (yes I was a big Z boy for awhile)
8. '89 Dodge Conquest
10. '95 Pontiac Trans Am
11. '95 Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo

Most of the cars were only mildly modified (wheels, lowered, Exhaust, Intake), but I went all out on the 240Z and the Stealth. In fact, the Stealth is the reason I have not had a performance car for the last five years. I kept breaking it (500 whp) and my wife finally put her foot down that it had to go (I'm a family man now, 2 kids in school). Well she finally took pity on me and let me get the Vette with the promise that it would not be a money pit like the Stealth ;-) .

What it is:

2001 Corvette Coupe
completely stock
50,000 miles
6sp
Pewter Exterior
Black Interior
All options except electronic ride control.

I have been looking for this exact combination for quite some time, most of the Pewter cars I came across were automatics and/or had the tan or light grey interior. I found this car on Ebay and it was at a dealer here in the Charlotte area, so there was no way I could pass it up! The car is in very good condition, with very few and minor paint blemishes. Unfortunately, between the time I bought it, and picked it up a week later, someone at the dealer put a good sized paint nick in the bottom of the drivers door. Of course they tried to say it was there already, but we both knew that it wasn't and I was able to prove it by using their own photo's of the car. They said they would repair the door, but I could tell from the conversation it was going to be done as cheaply as possible (they warned me there would be over spray on the inner door sill). I want it done right so I had them give me a check and told them I would just get it done myself. I also want to remove the rub strip and there is a scratch on the top corner of the hoop that was repaired with brushed on touch up paint that I want to get repaired while it's in the paint shop. It also needs brakes, so I am going to get a set of stock drilled/slotted rotors and pads from Corvette Central. While I would have liked to have gone on and done the C6 ZO6 upgrade while I was doing the brakes anyway, that would have required new wheels/tires and would have been the very same snowball effect I always had with the Stealth . So I'll just do what's required for now (even though it's pretty small, I cannot live with that scratch so as far as I'm concerned, it's required). I'm also looking into a Corsa exhaust but that's it for this year, I promise! Anyway, I'm really excited to be a Vette owner and I look forward to being on the forum.

PS - Any of you who might have ever been on the 3SI forum, I was Tazracing over there.

Last edited by WayneWork; 06-08-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode