Hello from Virginia - Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Hello from Virginia

I thought I was already on this Forum but somehow I have been misplaced or lost...oh well I will again introduce myself.

I am a 67 YO Young guy from Virginia, 100% Disabled from Vietnam, married with grandchildren and wanting a Corvette after wanting one for years.

As with all people, life has dictated what we get and when we get it. Wanted one after Vietnam...then got married and then a child...started life....got involved with Corvette passion from my uncle who had a 60. Found a 65 and decided to get it but first wife said "Nope I am leaving with the boyfriend!!"....()

Well divorced, lost everything............found a nice lady, got married, found a 68 then those famous two words---"I'm pregnant" .... went thru life/jobs/house/college etc... in 2009 I retired finally from the Vietnam issues........... decided to buy and Motorcycle and Corvette... got the M/C and started the C5 research and seeking THEN had a Heart Attack in May 2015, had to sell the M/C but still could drive 4 wheels....saved $$$$ for a C5...... then in Sept 2015 the wife and I became parents again of the 6 year old grand daughter , due to issues we were faced with so C5$$$$ went to lawyers.

The C5 Corvette has diminished to possibly getting a C4 which I am trying to find. $$$$ is limited but it may happen if it is supposed to. I am now researching and looking for C4's and will be asking for assistance and help in my search so don't get bored with my questions.

I envy all of you owners and experts, love seeing your cars and every weekend when in season I am at the cruise ins asking questions and meeting new friends.... Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 04:05 AM

Hello Steve! First of all, thank you for your service! I retired from the USAF in 2003 but still have to work to raise my family and mod my toys. You have gone through a lot in your lifetime and I hope you do find you a nice C4 to call your own. You definitely deserve one!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Andy for your service and isn't it a shame that we spend years in the service, moving the family all over, never becoming the upper middle class and then retire to a tiny retirement and still have to work to survive????

I am a former San Antonio basic guy myself. Went from there to Weapons School, then ended as a gunner on the AC47 and then AC119 at Phan Rang, Vietnam. The Old Air Commandos that changed to Special Operations shows how old I am ...lol....Kept answering yes when asked to volunteer, young and dumb huh? But proud of what little i did for the service.

Life is strange and keeps throwing curves but it is how we modify an adapt that makes the difference.

Oh I think positively and believe that sometime, somewhere that a Corvette with my name on it will appear and become a garage member of the house....I laugh and tell the wife that it may happen and the next day I croak but at least I can say I was a Corvette owner..... I see some around here but most are way too expensive and usually worn out to boot. There are a lot in Florida and farther down south but living in Virginia makes it difficult to just up and go see one.

Most Corvette Club owners around here have later C5, C6 models and they do not think a C4 is the quality they need to be associated with, my thinking is either they are rich and have too much money or they never had to work their way up to what they have now. You and me have started down there on the rung of the ladder in life and stepped up and up to where we are now. I never have a problem with starting low, in fact a C4 would make me smile just as big as a C7.

Well Sunday morning, 6:30am, just a typical no-sleep Veteran on the laptop and I wish you and yours a great weekend and weeks ahead..Weather here has changed and it is actually warm.......I think the 6 y.o. grand daughter and I will enjoy this beautiful day ahead together. Thanks again for your thoughts.... do keep in touch and would like to see pictures of your Vette...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 04:50 PM

Hey Steve! I know exactly what you mean. My Dad and his Dad and most of my Uncle's went the service route. Most of them did a few tours in Vietnam, as well. It's funny, I knew from a very young age that I wanted to join the Air Force. When I graduated High School and all of my friends were heading off to college, I started my career in the AF. I was pretty lucky as far as assignments go. Traveled most of Europe and the Southwest Asia and saw most of the US. I had always loved the San Antonio area since it is very populated with military personnel (Active Duty and Retired). To me, get what you have the means for and make it your own. I am sure there is a Corvette out there with your name on it. We are heading out to Six Flags Fiesta Texas for the day. My 18 and 19 years old kids are not as excited as my 7 year old son. I always have a blast and it is supposed to be 87 degree's and sunny today!

My youngest son and I went to car show yesterday in support of one of my buddies who has Cancer. Hospice has already helped him set up in him home and we all know he don't have much time left on Earth. He has always been a car guy and he smiled the whole day. I will post a few pics from the show. I was the only Vette there as it was mostly Mopar but to me, it don't matter what make or model you own. Have a great day, my friend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !cid_20160311_175008 - Copy.jpg (89.1 KB, 1 views)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 04:53 PM

Here's my car with the chrome Z06 Spiders and 345's on the rear. Whole new look. I usually run the black OEMs during the winter and the chrome ones in the summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151222_173406.jpg (50.1 KB, 1 views)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Thought I had lucked out Sunday, driving thru Roanoke saw a dark Corvette under an awning, next day went back, not anyone around but got some looking at it....searched and found the number to call.....1993 Coupe, Anniversary model, at, black with grey interior, 54K miles, 5 previous owners, present owner said he has had it since January 2015 no time to drive it, nothing he knew was wrong except the cruise didn't work (could be vacuum line)..........said he was asking $6500 which sparked my interest...........THEN he said "I have to tell you it has a Va DMV REBUILT TITLE but I have no idea why."...I am unfamiliar with this so I researched and found it to be either a totaled vehicle that was repaired, one totaled and paid off by insurance then re-bought and repaired, a salvaged vehicle from flood / theft / damaged and repaired and re-titled. Then to make it even weirder the information states that most insurance companies will not cover them sooooooooooo I guess I am going to re-think even going to see it.... when it sounds really good then it is too good to be true....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 01:12 PM

Yes, I agree...keep looking! I stay far away from Salvage titles! You will know when you find the right one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode