Newcomer - Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
BFP

Newcomer

Hi I'm BP. Been reading on the forum for awhile. Have a '87 C4 and now a '15 C7. Thought it was time to get involved alittle as I've learned from alot of people on here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 02:16 AM

Hello

New guy on the block, don't have a Corvette yet. I do drive a 1995 Miata MX5 but I am in the market for Corvette. I've been looking around western New York and the surrounding area for some thing in the C4 type car. Been out on the internet at sites like carguru.com and if I would be willing to travel to south Florida, I could have had a Corvette long ago.

Then today, I made the acquaintance of a man whose mother-in-law has a 1974 (maybe 1975) Corvette she wants to sell. He tried to sell it last year, was asking $1500 (fifteen hundred) but had no takers. She winters in Florida and will return mid-May, at which time I'll take a look at this car. He says "it needs some work"

I don't know what $1500 buys in Corvettes but I have seen some much newer cars (1991) with reasonable mileage (80000) selling for $6000 in S. Florida.

I have not seen this car and have zero information about it. Having said that, is there any thing I should be on the lookout for, anything at all, which if present, I should run far and fast away from?

When I do go to see it, I will take a $1000 with me. Assuming the engine starts and the car is complete, it would serve two purposes for me. First, it's a Corvette, second, it's a project car. If it doesn't have a rotted frame and if the engine runs and if it is complete and if it hasn't been wrecked and if...., and if...., and if she'll take a $1000 for it, I'll buy it
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
BFP

C4

Hi Larry,
Don't have a lot of answers for you but when I bought my '87 I was told to look for stress cracks on the body. Not all body shops can work on fiberglass well. Certainly check the frame for rust. It could go 2 ways! It could be a diamond or not worth the effort. Depending on what it needs you could be sinking a good bit money to bring it back.Adds up! $1500 isn't a lot of money. I'm getting ready to sell my '87 cause I don't need 2 corvettes Plus 2 garage spaces!! It has 24,000 mi and been garage kept if you might be interested. Probably going to ask $9500 and I live in western Pa. Good luck to you. I think the car would be worth looking at though. Get pics before you make a trip.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 01:18 PM

BFP,

Thanks for the reply. Where in western PA? Erie is 90 minutes.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 03:58 PM

Engine temp

I located a 1985 Corvette with 85K miles on the odometer. It has a 4 speed manual gear box with overdrive.

I drove it and my general impressions are favorable with one exception. The coolant temperature settled down at 230 to 235 degrees. Is this normal for this car or is this high temp an indication of a radiator in need of flushing?

Other than that, the car's condition is pretty much what one could expect for a 30 year old car. The paint is good with the exception of a small nick near one of the headlights. The car fax report is all positive. The tires are ok for now and will pass the NYS inspection but will need replacing by next year. The clutch seems very positive as do the brakes. The owner is asking $6800.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
BFP

Thumbs up

My experience with my '87 is that it runs hot. That's the way GM designed the L-98 to run because of emisions I believe. Mine ran at about 225 and up when idling the would calm down moving. I believe the fan kicks on at about 238 degrees and it might have an aux. fan down by the radiator. I put a chip in mine to kick the fan on at a lower temp. and also put another thermostat in it I think it was a 185 degree. the factory put in a higher one. They were designed to run hot but I didn't like seeing the temp that high!! With the chip and thermostat changed I've had no issues and it runs cooler. The one you're looking at is probably ok but I think I would flush the coolant anyway just to be should that's not an issue.Hope this helps Larry.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 06:05 PM

1975 vette...MIA

I made arrangements to look at the 1975 Corvette the owner was asking $1500 for. She called the storage facility where the car was being stored to let them know someone was coming to look at it.

She was advised the car was towed away as "the registration had expired". The storage facility did not know when exactly this occurred but certainly in the "last six months". They had no other info as to who towed the car or where it was towed to.

I suggested to the owner she file a stolen vehicle report with the police as the car was most surely stolen and most likely taken to a chop shop. I also suggested she notify her insurance carrier as well.

I'll bet an employee of the storage facility had a hand in this theft. I hope she initiates legal action.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
BFP

Thumbs up 1975 vette...MIA

That's a shame Larry. I would pursue them relentlessly!! They had no right allowing that car to leave the facility,weather registered or not as long as the storage fee was kept up to date!! Hope they find out what happened and press charges. I think they're on the short end of the stick unless they put a value on the '75. Kelly BB will show nothing on the value probably. Good luck!!
Bryan
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 02:55 PM

I bought a 1985 corvette from an 86 yo man whose back issues prevents him from getting in. He is the second owner, having it for the last eight years.

From what I can see, the paint is almost perfect, tires are decent, it has a new top, new seats, a good car cover and a shop manual. The engine has a plate indicating it is an LT1 engine coupled to a 4/3 manual gear box.

It also has an "ADS super chip". Have'nt done any research on it yet but I have noticed this car seems to operate at 175-180 degrees. Whether or not it increases horsepower is not a big issue for me as I have no intention of racing this car.

what it doesn't have is a spare tire. The man I bought it from replaced the tires in 2007, put about 8000 miles on them since then and never had had a flat, so he had no reason to use the spare.

Anybody on the forum have a spare for this car?

I'll post some pics later.

Last edited by Larry D; 06-19-2015 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Grammar
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
BFP

'85 vette

Happy for you Larry!! My '87 runs at about 180 with the chip installed. Waiting to see your pic👍
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode