Day 1 of our ZR1 cross country adventure - Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Day 1 of our ZR1 cross country adventure

Yesterday marked day 1 of our ZR1 cross country adventure. Destination: Tombstone, AZ. We left Detroit in what seemed like a monsoon, heading thru Indiana for Chicago, onto Joliet, IL, & finally stopping in Springfield, IL (Home of the Simpsons???) Mitch & I are bringing the 1st ZR1 back to Spring Mountain for our Ron Fellows ZR1 Driving School (We will have 2 ZR1s by the time the school starts on Oct. 20th, Blue & Red); but, first we are heading to the Corvettes & Ghost Riders event & car show in Arizona to show the ZR1 off. Just so you know, Mitch & I post threads, & reply on the forum, along with Jordan (AKA: Hollywood), one of our top instructors.

So where do I start? The car's performance? No. The car's handling? No. Ahh, the Cool Factor. Yes! In my job, I drive a lot of vettes, all over the country, & I have to say this is the coolest of them all! We are drawing crowds in every gas station, restaurant, & parking lot on our trip. To say heads turn when we drive by is an understatement; the whole body turns. Cool Factor: Thru the Roof! We happened across a Show and Shine in Joliet, IL (they have it every Wed. on Jefferson), so we decided to stop & show the car off. They loved it!

On to the car's performance. You all know the specs of the car. I'm just going to tell you what it's like to drive it. UNBELIEVABLE! You want to talk about power? This car has instant acceleration right under your foot. Just press & go. Passing gear, forget about it: Warp speed Scotty! The exhaust gets more deep & intense once you hit around 3000 RPMs. It sounds really cool!

The handling is superb! The steering is tight, & handles with pin point precision. The suspension provided a sturdy; yet, comfortable ride for the 600 miles we drove yesterday. The braking works very well & is very linear. We were driving in the pouring rain for quite a while, & the car still gripped the road amazingly. Something I didn't expect & am not used to in the Corvette (especially the Z06). I was nervous at first, but had absolute confidence in the cars handling by the time we came thru the other side! Oh, & we are averaging 17 MPG so far. I'll let you know as that improves.

Today we head off thru St Louis, continuing our journey to Tombstone. I have posted some pics from yesterday. Enjoy. - Anthony

Anthony & Mitch

Bad driving conditions??

The Show & shine in Joliet, IL (every Wed Night on Jefferson)

Our Final Mileage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Day 1 from Mitch's perspective

Day 1 from Mitch's perspective
Driving the ZR1 across the USA is pure bliss. After my first stint at the wheel all I can say is how fantastic the brakes feel; linear and powerful. The transmission is the smoothest shifting one I have ever driven in my 25 years of driving. Power for passing is what you would expect WOW! How do I get on the list to buy one of these cars is what I keep thinking as we drive across Illinois.

The reaction of others on the road is pure respect as we pass car after car. The number of thumbs-up I have seen makes me remember how fantastic a job I do have. Just pulling into a local show-n-shine last night caused people driving down the street to stop there for the first time just so they could take a peek. Looking forward to the next few days is an understatement.

Stay tuned for day two.

Mitch

Chi Town
[IMG]http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee348
/socalspringmountain/ZR1%20trip/IMG_3303.jpg[/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode