81 cutting off after all new elect install - Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

81 cutting off after all new elect install

Hi all.
Can someone help ID a problem?
Last week my 81 cut off on the Xway at 65mph. When towed home and checked the cap & rotor, it had burned holw thru center of rotor. Replaced cap, rotor, coil, and module. Starts ok, but now cutts off after a few minutes everytime. Parts replaced ok, but keeps cutting off. Gas pump ok as varb squirts ok.

What do you'll think??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 02:03 AM

I have to take a guess .If the burn through is in the centre of the rotor the power surge would have to come from the coil.Coil will get power from starter then battery,if a power surge occured with a ground fault that will cause failure of coil and burnt rotor.If the is starting but is cutting out after it is hot you may have a broken wire from the starter to the fusable link,as the plastic gets hot and plyable the wire is not contacting cutting out the engine,when it cools down it re-contacts.This could also have caused a short to the modul.Just a guess let me know if I was close.Steve
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

Smile

hi mad pad,
Thanks for the reply. Sorry it took so long. Still not sure of what caused the hole, although most guesses are that the plug gap is way off / open.

However, once i was replaced, then the starting and cutting off problem started.

I was so frustraded that I went to another store (NAPA) and compared their parts to the onse from Advanced. I could tell the better quality at once. So, I bought the Napa parts and took everything back to advance. I have nothing to do with either company or mfg, but it made the difference. The vette has not stalled once. Part f the reason for the delay in responding is that I don't use it evry weekend. So, I wanted to pass some time before I was satisfied the problem was gone.

For those who played with model air planes has kids, you'll know what i mean when I say tht the plastic cap from Advance was made cheeply. The slots on the cap where the coil metal clips go thru were not formed correctly nor were they open. I had used a flat srew driver to open the holes. Napa's cap had perfetly straight and open holes. When I inserted the metal clips they went straight in and snapped in and locked. The carbon brush in the center wasalso well made, with what looked like brass collar, the other part was all one cheep peice of you-know-what.

Oh well, on to waiting for the next car show and problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode