1974 corvette temp??? - Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

1974 corvette temp???

hey im ew to the site but not new to car forums i have a 1974 corvette with a new crate 350 in it. what should the running temp be at? right now it runs between 200 and 210 which worrys me a little i think thats to hot i think it might be a thermostat. any ideas?????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:41 PM

My 74 runs at 180,
you may want to check your fluid and/or thermostat
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:43 PM

Thumbs up It should run around 180!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaingum View Post
hey im ew to the site but not new to car forums i have a 1974 corvette with a new crate 350 in it. what should the running temp be at? right now it runs between 200 and 210 which worrys me a little i think thats to hot i think it might be a thermostat. any ideas?????????
Check thermostat!!! Let me know what you find out!!! GOOD LUCK!!! Tim c5garage

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaingum View Post
Ideally with a 180 degree thermostat it should run between 180 and 190 depending on the outside temp but it is not uncommon for your car to run at 200-210 especially if it is hot outside. Just make sure it stays in this range and doesn't go any higher especially in heavy slow traffic or at high speeds on the highway. If it maintains at either of these conditions you have no problem.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 12:33 AM

Hello,

I build engines and one thing I have noticed over the years...almost every engine has a mind of its own. Most engines need to be "burped" if any thing is done such as replacing a radiator, hose, or thermostat. By burping I mean that an air pocket can get trapped inside the block and it has to be forced out. There are systems to do this but for the shade tree mechanic, running the front wheels up on a ramp and running the car while watching the gauge will often get the air out. Here is something to consider. Take a real good look at the fins of the radiator and make sure they a free of bugs, leaves, dirt, and debris. You can have a good radiator, coolant system free of air, a good set of hoses, clamps, thermostat, heater hoses, heater core and still run hot if the radiator fins are not free of debris.

Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode