Dash Headaches - Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Dash Headaches

My husband and I have an '84 corvette and are having all kinds of problems with the dash. We replaced it last year with a rebuilt one but now the speedometer does not work and every once in a while the dash blacks out. If anyone has any ideas for us we would appreciate them as we do not know what to do at this point. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 01:38 PM

hi, i used to have an 84 with the same problems you are having. i ended up replacing my unit with a 89 digital dash cluster, a much better dash and really nice and bright. anyway, i needed to replace all the bulbs with brighter bulbs, something like sylvania xenon (if that's how it is spelled) or you could go here and fix it yourself. this guy knows it all and i used his advice on my 84: www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/repair.htm i hope this helps you guys out, it is easy to replace the bulbs as you will see. mike
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 11:01 PM

i have the same issue with my 86, back lights go out, but the funtions are still operational. the lights are a ground or +12 issue, due to bad solder, you speedo my be a sensor issue and not the display at all. I re-soldered my display and sloved the "lights out" issue for more than 3 years, unfortunately in the last month the problem returned. check the speedo connection to the transmission, it is most likey the wiring is cracked and broken.
Tom

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 12:14 AM

I will be rebuilding my dash in the next few weeks. My baby is more or less a daily driver and I really don't like driving without being able to see any of the gauges. They do work, the lights don't. My problem started the day I cleaned around the front of my engine. The power steering rack was a little grungy, so I got some engine cleaner and then hosed it off. Ran the engine to dry it and got into the car to drive around the block. When I did, the dash lights were out.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 01:41 AM

How are you making out with the display? you can try removing the connector from the rear of the display and then pushing it back on, it might clear any oxidation. It is not likely all the bulbs in the display burnt out at once, so it is my thought (and experience) it is a bad solder connection.
I do not remember if there is a fuse for the dashboard so you might also look into that before you start tearing thing apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode