New member hello - Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

New member hello

Just wanted to say "Hey" before I jump in the deep end...which I will now. 😁

As my handle says, I have an 84 C4 with 108,000 miles. I've had it 10 years and it had 98,000 on it then. I told my wife I have been under this thing more hours working on it than spent driving it.

It's been sitting 2 years as of this week. It stopped shifting. Only had reverse, park and 1st. Did the Lucas thing thinking it was stuck valve body. Didn't help. So this week I changed oil and trans fluid and filter again adding Lucas. Same thing.

So I began to read and it seems the governor gear going bad can cause that. In fact when I dropped the pan, a small light green piece of plastic was in it.

Pulled the governor and here is what I found. I went to a local transmission shop and they had the gear for $4.77. Ha! It sat for 2 years for 5 dollar part.....but....now it shifts funny. No more firm shifts...no more kicking down into "passing" gear...it just speeds up. Shift from 1st to 2nd is at 5 MPH.

What did I do? On the passenger side of the pan is a cable with a boot on it. The two bolts have a smaller head. Could I have done something when I moved it out of the way? I built ramps so I'm going to get it back up and try to see if perhaps the cable came loose. Is it the TV cable?

Again hello and thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1465678833336.jpg (76.5 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode