'87 Noisy Lifters After Sitting - Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

'87 Noisy Lifters After Sitting

Parked the car late last Fall. It ran fine. The car sat for 6 months and was not started until late this Spring. When it started, it made a hell of clatter. This happened once before when I bought it. It had sat for several months and then quieted down rather quickly once ran. I figured the lifters bled down. This time, it never really quieted down. I added some Marvel Mystery Oil, about 8 oz. thinking there may be some varnish on the lifters preventing them from building up. I drove it gently for 10 miles Doing the long screwdriver test, cylinders 4, 5, 6, & 8 were suspect. Cylinder 4 did start to quiet down. I'd like to think miracles can come from a can, but I am planning to take the rocker covers off just to make sure the rocker arms are OK and nothing backed off.

It has Amsoil in it that has about 700 miles on it in the past 2 years. I'd like to be able to flush it and go back to Mobil One.

Any thoughts or previous experience would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

I pulled the rocker arm cover off the right side first. A couple of the rocker arms have some play in them. Not much, but seems indicative of collapsed lifters. I am wondering if just snugging down to zero lash per the FSM and then flushing and replacing the oil would solve my problems or will I lose to much lift hurting performance? Or, am I just in it for the long haul and should replace the entire set of lifters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode