1987 Corvette Won't Start - Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

1987 Corvette Won't Start

Hi!
I have a 1987 Corvette Standard, and I am having issues with starting the car. I recently replaced the battery, clutch position switch, and clutch slave cylinder. Unfortunately, the car refuses to start. All of the electrical systems will work, but the car won't turn over or make any noise at all.
Recently, I tried using a security override module from Eckler's that matched my VATS code, but that made no difference either.
Granted, I am not well-versed in fixing cars, but I am slowly learning. I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 02:31 PM

I just read my owners manual last night and that sounds exactly like a key code issue.

It is possible for a locksmith to test your keys to see if they still work or use the code to make another?

Otherwise, since there's really no telling what it could be and with my very limited electrical knowledge I would shop for a shop that has a good electrical guy with a factory schematic and authorize him one or two hours of shop time to search the problem.

If he didn't find it at least he could eliminate a lot of things that it's not, and maybe authorize another hour or so.

Just my opinion on what I would consider doing if I'd checked all the obvious as apparently you have. Maybe someone else will chime in but don't hold your breath.

Good luck getting it squared away and working, I'm sure it's frustrating beyond belief.

Rick
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 04:49 PM

Let me see if I can find a schematic for your year. This way I can tell you how check for sure if it is indeed a VATS issue.

DJ

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 05:08 PM

You can actually measure the resistance of your key with a multi meter and use the correct value resistor to simulate your key.

But, this doesn't mean you do not an issue else where. This module has to either control a relay or send a digital output to the bcm or ecu to enable the start circuit.

I will keep looking for a schematic.

DJ
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 07:22 PM

OK, I have some info.

According to the small piece of the schematic I found I have the following to try.

1. You have to measure your key resistance first.
2. Then you can by-pass the key section by following the two wire ribbon cable from under the steering column (I think they are white wires) to a black two pin connector.
3. Unplug the connector and insert the proper value resistor across the two pins.

You maybe need to put a few resistors in series to get the proper value.

Note: There are two functions that I can see that this vats module controls.
- starter relay enable
- cranking fuel enable

4. Locate the vats module (Pin "P" white wire #963) and monitor the wire for the fuel enable.

4a. It should be +5volts (Pulled up internally in the ECU) until the vats module is activated. At this point it should go low. (Pulled to ground inside the vats module when trying to start.)

-If this does go to ground then the fuel portion of the vats is good.
- if it does not, then we need to check the vats module itself.

5. Locate the starter relay and unplug it.

According to the schematic I see pin 4 (not familiar with this pin layout for a relay) is controlled by the vats module.

Monitor continuity to ground on pin 4 when trying to start the car.

- If it does have continuity to ground, then this function of the vats module is also working properly.
- If it does not we need to look at the vats module.

If both functions do not work, then we either have the wrong resistance, bad wiring directly related to the vats module, or a bad module.

This is where I would start.

If someone has these schematics, could you please post them up?

DJ
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll give those a shot and see what I can make work. I was taken away from my car by some family stuff, but now I'm able to work on the car again.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 05:00 PM

I found a lot of useful information, thank you guys!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hunt; 01-14-2016 at 08:30 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt View Post
I found a lot of useful information, thank you guys!!!
Happy you managed to gather some useful information. Keep good care of you Vette

Oh, and i saw this 88's Callaway Vette, pretty rare!
1988 Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette - A Rare But WELL AIMED MODEL! Check It Out!!! - NO Car NO Fun! Muscle Cars and Power Cars! |
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 01:16 PM

1987 Corvette Won't Start and you need to check it correctly.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 12:43 PM

Extremely helpful post. This is my first time i visit here. I discovered such a large number of intriguing stuff in your blog particularly its exchange. Truly its extraordinary article. Keep it up. https://royalcbd.com/can-you-overdose-on-cbd/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode