What "Attention" did your C4 need upon purchase? - Corvette Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By RLowIndy
  • 1 Post By Gary Bagley
  • 1 Post By thatguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

What "Attention" did your C4 need upon purchase?

I watched a video on YouTube about buying a C4 and one of the things the gent said was "All C4s need some attention upon purchase". When I found my 94 with 39,750 miles, I thought I found the one C4 that was the exception.

And in the immortal words of Ron White.... "And I was wrong."

In the 8 days I've had her I've found:

1) Non-operational power antennae - motor runs but mast does not raise
2) Drivers door interior panel loos (Fixed today with zip ties and interior screw)
3) Drivers side hood latch compartment holding water (cleaned and drained)

So what items have you run across?
[email protected] likes this.

RLowIndy
Indianapolis, Indiana
1994 All Original Admiral Blue ZR1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:09 AM

Garage
I just had to fit a new radio as there wasn't one and i replaced all the window rubbers

Gary
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 03:45 AM

I just bought mine 5 months ago and I'm hoping to put her on the road this weekend, albeit most of the time was waiting to sell my previous car to swap the tag and finance my suspension & steering maintenance/replacement.

So so far I have...
fixed the contacts on the AC control unit
Replaced the entire stereo system, making custom boxes since when I looked at mine I found speakers screwed to wood screwed to the car. It was amazing how many screws I have found missing.
The passenger side window control kept wanting to pop out.
Repaired the flip door over the cup holders.
Replaced the shift boot and reverse lockout deal under the shift knob.
Replaced all four corner bulb sockets and bulbs.
Right under the hood light had a break in the power wire I got to find and fix.
My ECM bracket was all broken up.
When I removed the battery I noticed that it is designed to direct water toward the frame and sure enough there was lots of pealed paint and rust on the frame. I ended up breaking the heads off the two bolts on top of the battery tray due to the rust.
I did some preventative repair to my tail light where the screws hold them in. The posts were clearly cracking up and on their way to failing.
Replaced my hoses for my cruise control as they were shot, and the previous owner had an incorrect two way valve on the vacuum line, so that was replaced.
All of my ball joints, tie rod ends, and bushings were shot, so those have been replaced.
Also my transverse springs and shocks.
Flushed the brake fluid, changed the brakes.
There is probably more I'm not thinking about at the moment.

Mine is a '95 with 185K. Yours probably needs the suspension rubber changed due to lack of use and age. Rubber needs movement to keep their lubricants moving through them.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 10:02 PM

Bought mine last weekend; a '95 w/68K miles. I knew the driver's window was inop (stuck in up position) when I bought it, and on the drive home I notice the shifter was buzzing. After checking the power window switch, I proceeded to take the door apart to access the drive motor. Hooked the wiring back up to the switch, and while holding the switch down, tapped on the motor housing lightly with a hammer, and it started working. The shifter buzz was just a loose shift knob; so that was easy. I've checked the codes and nothing was stored, turned all the knobs an pushed all the buttons; everything seems to work except the door speakers. Feel pretty lucky so far, but I don't like the noise the trans (throwout bearing?) is making with the clutch in when stopped. And the clutch engagement is at the very end of the clutch release (all the way to the top). It's like a light switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode