Service Engine Code and several other questions. - Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Service Engine Code and several other questions.

Just bought my C5, 2 days ago. Check engine light came on the day after I got it. The guy that is my mechanic, ran a test to see what the code was. It's P1153. I've already printed out the list of codes from this forum, and even went on Google to see what needed to be done to fix the issue. Well, according to my mechanic and google, it could be several different things.

One thing I found last night was a vacuum hose that goes to the air filter that was not connected to the air filter box. So I plugged it back in and had the guy reset the codes. Will wait and see if the check engine light comes back on. He told me it could be the 02 sensors and he said my vette has 4 of them. 2 in the front and 2 in the back. Is this correct? I was reading somewhere else that the years after 1996, there were only 2 sensors and before 1996, there was only one sensor. Also, are these easy to replace yourself? I've done a few things on vehicles myself...change brakes, shocks, plugs....to name a few. My mechanic wants anywhere from 200-300 to replace them. From what I've read, they aren't that hard to replace. unscrew a screw, unplug the sensor and plug it back in and then tighten a screw. Seems simple and if it's something I could do myself, would save me some $$$.

Also, at an idle, sitting in the drive through window....water temperature seems to go up to about 240 degrees. A little over half way. Is this normal for the vette to run a little hot or should I change the thermostat? I've done that years ago on older cars, but haven't done anything like that on the newer vehicles I've had.

Any help would be greatly appreciate and if there is a website I can go to that will give me detailed instructions on replacing the 02 sensors...that would be great. In my search on Google...I haven't found anything yet that is helpful. Thank again.
Cindi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Also, to my knowledge, the guy that had this vette before me, did not change the headers. There is a magnaflow muffler on it. My mechanic says it won't hurt the engine to drive with this issue. He's telling me that it also may be the computer and it may need to be reprogramed.

One thing that happened the day I bought the car, was the tax office where I transfered the title, etc....made me go get an inspection before they would put the car in my name. Is there anything that could of happened when they inspected the car to cause this issue with the check engine light? I did make sure the fuel cap was on properly in case they didn't put it back on tight. (this was after my mechanic cleared the code). I drove the car maybe 30 miles and the check engine light came back on again. I connected the vacuum hose last night and my mechanic has reset the code again. Will see if it comes back on...I"m thinking it will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode