Run Flat tires - Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Run Flat tires

Does anyone know if non run flat tires would be quieter on the open road? I have run flats and when driving on the freeway it gets real loud in my car. I'm thinking of changing to improve the noise level inside the car. I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else had this problem or if anyone had a suggestions. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 05:02 PM

I was a C5 owner for several years, and I now have a C6 with RFs, so I can relate to this issue.

Quick answer to your question: yes there are quieter tires than the good year RFs and they are cheaper than RF tires... but there is also some trade off.

You will have to carry a tire plugging kit, jack, air pump, etc if you go with non-runflats. Even that did not save us when I tried the non-run flat experiment, because I broke one of the valve stems on the tire air pressure gizmo. (I ran it through a car wash...) This required a tow, and it also almost cost me a motel bill.

One possible alternative is a different brand of run flats. I have heard that some of them are less noisy. Even the tires on my C6 (which are a different type of GY RFs) are quieter than the ones that were on my C5. I would look into that option before you jump to the non-runflats.

Good Luck though with however you choose to go.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 07:18 PM

You will still get a lot of road/tire noise with just a tire change. Road surface has a lot to do with it. The Vette has no insulation other than its carpeting.

Here's probably your best bet to cut down on the noise.

http://mikemercury.home.att.net/sound.htm DIY

http://www.exoticvette.com/insulation%20c5.htm Pre-Cut

Last edited by Sparky; 06-22-2008 at 08:34 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 08:04 AM

I agree....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
You will still get a lot of road/tire noise with just a tire change. Road surface has a lot to do with it. The Vette has no insulation other than its carpeting.

Here's probably your best bet to cut down on the noise.

http://mikemercury.home.att.net/sound.htm DIY

http://www.exoticvette.com/insulation%20c5.htm Pre-Cut
Yes, the insulation will help a lot. For me it seemed that as the RF tires wore (and got a little "lumpy") they seemed to make more noise. I just learned to live with it in the end.

Last edited by Crawfish; 06-23-2008 at 08:06 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:08 PM

Thumbs up

Went from runcraps to Khomo HP AS and I could not be happier. They are quiet and there is lsee bump steer in the corners. Carry a plug kit and a 12 volt compressor just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode