reg gas - Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

reg gas

started using reg gas --cant tell any difference ---any danger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 01:21 PM

I have heard 2 schools of thought regarding this.
I have heard it being done and the engine performs poorly and pings.
I have also heard the the PCM will adjust to the lower octane rating.
I have always used mid range in mine and added Chevron Techron to keep the gas gauge from fouling up. (C5's are noted for that)
I have put in high test and saw minimal difference in performance. I have an LPE 383 so I don't know that much about the stock mill.
My neighbor fills up when his tank gets about 1/2. He'' swap off mid-range and high test and he said he has not any pinging or lack of performance so far.

Liberals are like Slinkys. Not much good for anything, but fun to watch when you push them down the stairs.

God Bless the US Military

Regards.

Jim
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

thanx ben---guess i need the additives in the premium---but no ping-poor erformance or poor milage???????????

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 02:57 PM

I get basically the same milage using mid range and high test. No pinging and it's performance is great.

Liberals are like Slinkys. Not much good for anything, but fun to watch when you push them down the stairs.

God Bless the US Military

Regards.

Jim
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 06:32 AM

If you are in the higher elevations you don't 91+, But at sea level I wouldn't run reg fuel, Maybe you can't hear or feel the pinging, But it is there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 A4 Pewter Coupe with Pimp red insides.

Handle every situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or hump it.
Piss on it and walk away.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benpup View Post
I have heard 2 schools of thought regarding this.
I have heard it being done and the engine performs poorly and pings.
I have also heard the the PCM will adjust to the lower octane rating.
I have always used mid range in mine and added Chevron Techron to keep the gas gauge from fouling up. (C5's are noted for that)
I have put in high test and saw minimal difference in performance. I have an LPE 383 so I don't know that much about the stock mill.
My neighbor fills up when his tank gets about 1/2. He'' swap off mid-range and high test and he said he has not any pinging or lack of performance so far.
Gentlemen, I do believe it is more important to use a Top Tier gasoline if you insist on using the Regular unleaded Fuel. It is only a few dollars more to fill up with Premium. 4-6 dollars will not break me and I am operating my '01 coupe at manufacturer's recommendations. Yes the car will drop to the lower octane table as soon as it pings or knocks, and it will do this if you get on it. It will move back up to the higher octane table after a start cycle after a 1/4 tank difference in fuel quantity. (ie: after you add fuel of more than 1/4 tank ) and then start the car. Very smart this car is. All in all, run regular if you want, just be aware that it will not perform as well as it can and there may be some buildup in the fuel delivery/combustion areas of your motor over many thousand miles. My personal choice is Top Tier Premium...(Quik Trip in the DFW Texas area), and drive it like you stole it. It is a CORVETTE after all!
Please enjoy your car and remember that it is one of the Greatest American Sports cars made! I drive with a smile on my face all the time...(when I am in the Vette of course!)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 04:28 PM

You can run reg, but it should be top tier. Why buy additives wwhen it is already in top teir high grade. Just my oppinion. Andrew
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 08:33 PM

Thumbs up I agree Andrew!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acountry330 View Post
You can run reg, but it should be top tier. Why buy additives wwhen it is already in top teir high grade. Just my oppinion. Andrew
I use SUPER UNLEADED in my C5 nothing else!! Tim c5garage

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 10:55 AM

Post Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by texinmiC5 View Post
Gentlemen, I do believe it is more important to use a Top Tier gasoline if you insist on using the Regular unleaded Fuel. It is only a few dollars more to fill up with Premium. 4-6 dollars will not break me and I am operating my '01 coupe at manufacturer's recommendations. Yes the car will drop to the lower octane table as soon as it pings or knocks, and it will do this if you get on it. It will move back up to the higher octane table after a start cycle after a 1/4 tank difference in fuel quantity. (ie: after you add fuel of more than 1/4 tank ) and then start the car. Very smart this car is. All in all, run regular if you want, just be aware that it will not perform as well as it can and there may be some buildup in the fuel delivery/combustion areas of your motor over many thousand miles. My personal choice is Top Tier Premium...(Quik Trip in the DFW Texas area), and drive it like you stole it. It is a CORVETTE after all!
Please enjoy your car and remember that it is one of the Greatest American Sports cars made! I drive with a smile on my face all the time...(when I am in the Vette of course!)

I see this subject often and for the life of me I don't know why. Your owners manual is very clear about this, You need to use gasoline of at least 91 octane for normal operation. Can you run 87 Octane ? Sure, but why? You bought a $40.000 automobile that willl give you great performance on 91 octane, yet some folks want to run 87 octane in it. The only benefit of low octane fuel is less carbon buildup, which can be removed by running a can of BG44k every 3000 miles. And now with gasoline costing close to $2.00 a gallon for premium I can't imagine why anyone would consider running anything but a top tier gasoline. You have to trust the GM engineers when they recommend at least 91 octane fuel !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode