Column Lock Again.. Anyone with the recall try removing the relay and harness? - Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Column Lock Again.. Anyone with the recall try removing the relay and harness?

OK, I know there has been many posts about this topic. Here is what I am thinking. Went to start my vette the other day and the service column lock message appeared. I have already had the recall done that removes the lock and adds the relay. So I intially am looking at the symptoms message, Wait 10 seconds, fuel shut-off. And I realize it is the recall they did that is affecting the vehicle. I start by removing the fuses 23 and 25 and others associated with the BCM to try to reset the sequence but nothing happens still same symptoms. Disconnect battery, remove fuses...still nothing. I think to myself what does this recall actually do. I look at the wiring diagrams and it appears that the recall still sends the same voltages to the motor to drive the column lock mechanism but because it has been removed the locking plate it really doesn't do anything but drive the motor. The other wires are for the feedback which now instead of going to the locking switch now get bypassed by the relay installed by the K harness. So I think to myself If the locking mechanism is not installed what would happen if I still used the old column lock switch instead of the bypass. I removed the harness and rehooked the cabling to original. No lock installed so it can't lock. I start the car and the problem is now gone. I look at the relay and hook up 12 volts to the coil and nothing. The relay has failed. Should I replace the relay and take a chance on another failed relay or leave the cabling hooked up without the harness and no lock. It seems to work fine now. Is there anyone out there with the recall that has tried to just remove the relay and harness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 03:08 PM

Angry Service Column Lock Message

Seems to a recurring theme. A couple of days ago I got the "Service Column Lock" message. I had the recall done last year on my 02 Z06. I hit the reset button and the message goes away. The car drives as normal. Is there a chance that the car is gonna leave me stuck somewhere or should I go have the dealer check it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode