New member - Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Des

Hi I'm a new member to this site, I own a corvette C5 Z06 2002 model, color - Torch Red.

I've been getting on fine with it since I took posession of it about 4 months ago but now I've noticed when the engine heats up there's a hot rubber smell, I haven't looked underneath yet as I'm guessing something may of got cought up.

if you have any other advice I'd be most appreciative of you help.

Oh when I lift the hood there's no visible sign of problems???

Regards Des (I'm in the UK)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 09:54 PM

Question

Does it smell like oil or rubber? you might have a hose or something rubber touching the exhaust system. Check your fluids and see if anything is low.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 01:12 PM

Thumbs up

First: Check to ensure that you have not sucked a bag or something up in front of the radiator. These things are bottom feeders.
Second: Check to make sure that the rubber hose(drivers side) that runs from the brake booster.
Make sure that everything that is rubber or plastic is away from the exhayst manifolds.
Last: Check your serpetine belts. There is one for the engine of course and there is one or the AC. Make sure that they are straight and true and that everything that is supposed to spin, spins.

One more thing is to check the harmonic Balancer on the end of the crank and make sure it is not warped. It consists of the balancer, a bubber ring, and the outside ring where the serpintine belt runs. The rubber has been known to go bad and the thing wobbles rather than turns. If it coes out completely there can be quite a bit of damage done under the hood to the engine.
Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode