High MIles?????????? - Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

High MIles??????????

I have wanted a C5 but due to the custody and addition of the grand daughter to my family and was going to settle down to a C4.....question I have is i have seen a few C5's with high mileage (example 140k and 180k) that are down in my price range of affordability.....what is the high point of mileage that then starts making the C5 susceptible to constant and expensive expenses????? I have heard from owners locally that the C5's can and will go way beyond the 200k marks before any concerns are due but I am not skilled enough to believe that.I did meet a gentleman in Wlliamsburg, Va that had a C5 with 240k on his and still was driving nationwide. I value your opinions and comments. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Red"]I was hoping to hear from owners who had high miles on their C5's to see just how long these cars lasted and what problems started to pop up after a certain mileage limit BUT have gotten no answers.
I bet you there are guys and gals out there with cars showing over 100K miles on them....I want a Corvette but with the issues I now have My C5 low mile car went to a C4 with a lower price or a high mile C5...... if there is a reliability of the C5 with high miles is normal then I'd rather have this but I do not have the experience or knowledge so I am depending on your people. Thanks.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 01:31 AM

I believe the only difference would be the torque tube.

The rest is related to proper maintenance

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 12:48 PM

Your question is not black and white or true and false, it is complex.

A C5 should last well into six digits on the odometer even with the once in a while full throttle check. The body will never rust. Oil changes, tires, exhaust, battery, brake pads, maybe a few bulbs here and there and the annual air filter should be all the car requires.

When we were looking at used Vette's there were many and some had been treated well and taken care of and some that were not. Mileage on a vehicle is relevant to the maintenance the car receives. But when buying a used vehicle, if you are not a mechanic, I recommend finding one that you trust and have them give the car a once over.

Car fax helps but you have to know what you are reading and also understand that a car fax reports on insurance claims only, not necessarily every incident involving the vehicle.

I suppose it is not the direct answer you are looking for but.......................

Last edited by Raider4444; 05-25-2016 at 12:49 PM. Reason: typo's
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:51 AM

Personally I would avoid anything over 120k miles. At that point in any number of additional miles things can begin breaking down. The Corvette tranny isn't cheap to repair and even tho the engines are incredibly strong and resilient, they will begin to lose compression.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 09:55 PM

C5 Purchase

I just purchased a 2001 with 58k for very reasonable. Honestly, look around. Ive seen C5s with the M6 and 50-100k sell for 9-17k$. If you don't mind an auto transmission, Iv seen them sell for 12k$ or less with very low miles. Look in Florida...C5s are like Honda civics down there. Obviously you want something that was maintained and most likely with lowest miles you can afford. I would sacrifice some mileage and know it was taken care of vs buying a low miled vette from a 16 year old kid who might not have changed the oil and red lined the car every parking they drove into.

Also, the C5 is a proven drive train and will last a very long time
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 10:00 PM

C5

Also if you buy a car with 85k plus, you better expect suspensions, bushings, and normal things to wear down and break. The car is at least 12 years old...My horn membrane went last night and the horn was stuck on. Took me 5 minutes to comprehend what was going on and pull the horn fuse. Cheap fix if you can do it yourself, the membrane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode