C5 creaking Noise- need help diagnosing please. - Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

C5 creaking Noise- need help diagnosing please.

I just bought my first Corvette at 60. Wanted one 40 years ago. Very happy overall- performance, fun, and WOW appeal- very nice shiny yellow one. However, it makes a LOT of noise over bumps and uneven surface roads going street slow- which is every where in San Jose, CA (or CA period- these roads are really bad compared to other states!). Freeways are OK it seems, or a lot better anyway. It is coming from underneath and at or behind me it seems, and sounds like the body making noises- creaking, twisting sounds like an old wagon or something. It has 65K plus miles on it- auto transmission. Is that normal for a 14 year old C5 Corvette? Unlikely right? It was a rental at one point- abuse? I talked to two other C5 owners, and they don't have this issue- both have sticks though, and way less miles.

I saw something about worn bushings supporting anti-sway bar on some web site (3 mounting brackets) as a contender, and GM has Aluminum brackets instead of plastic available? Shocks seem good as far as dampening body movement. How do shocks attach- any rubber bushings there? Saw or heard something about oiling rubber parts to see if noise goes away? How does the body attach- loose bolts a possibility? I want to take to my mechanic first before dealer or speed shop (called both first, and neither acted like they knew anything or ever heard of this and wanted eval fee of $135 not inspiring confidence), because he won't charge eval fee, and is totally honest. Don't know if he's up to general repairs or not but has saved me a ton of money over dealers in the past- and I trust him.

What should we be looking for? What are some common causes? Don't think its from the Targa roof panel, unless sound is wrapping around acoustically like a music box. I will remove it and see. Had it off once, think it was still noisy- was not really paying attention- trying to mask it at that point for wife so she won't complain. She likes it though, we go places on wee knows now just for the drive.

I would really appreciate any feedback from you veterans and owners. As fun and pretty as Chloe is (her name, ha!), I would rather not drive a creaky, noisy car- it's embarrassing. I feel it can be heard from outside observers? I can always turn the volume up- ha! And could live with it if I have to- but really?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 08:51 PM

Squeaking

Hell0,

I too am a new/used Vette owner, always wanted one! I have a 2001 targa with 64k on it.

I notice a squeaking noise when driving in a parking garage, coming from the rear, but I never normally hear it otherwise. My vette has the f45 suspension, which is a selectable electronic suspension. Is that what you have? Without hearing it, its hard to say if it is similar but here is my 2 cents:

I have a car lift and Ive inspected everything. There are a lot of bushings/rubber that can go bad but nothing looks to be in bad shape. I got lucky and my vette was garaged in her previous life. Its so clean, this idiot probably didn't even drive it in the rain. Ive read that the sway bar bushings make noises, and some vettes had plastic end links and should be upgraded to metal ones. OEM are cheap, 40-60$ a pair. Personally, I plan to erase the F45 out and upgrade to Z06 sway bars, 2004 Z06 or C6 Shocks and Z06/Z51 leaf springs. If it is your shocks, it will cheaper by more than half to do this upgrade vs replacing the F45.

Snoop around and post back. Im used to a more friendly forum community with my Jeep TJ, not to say they don't talk crap and say "use the search button"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode