Please help, potential C5 purchase - Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Please help, potential C5 purchase

Hello all. I'm looking at a vette right now, I REALLy want a vette and I might be able to pick one up REALLY cheap. I'm concerned though. I dont want to pay for it and then have it blow up on me.

Its a 1999, auto coupe. Glass top, heres the kicker....198,000 miles. Okay, so i went and looked at it today, started up just fine, but sounded a little weak when i mashed the throttle. Might be an exhaust leak, might need a tuneup. I'll take it to a dealer to have it inspected before I buy. BUT, the drivers door panel is barely hanging on, and the glove box is being held closed with speakerwire. So what would it cost to replace those two items? The exterior is perfect, its just the interior that needs some work. the rear hatch is missing some of the locks that hold the panels down. What else should I look for? I'm going back tomorrow to drive it. So far, ive got the price down to 9500 out the door. too much? It looks like its had a rough life, I want to be able to buy it and extend its life another 200k miles. Any help anyone can give is appreciated.

Also, is it weird that i fit better in a C5 than a C6?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 01:50 AM

The C6 is a little shorter than the C5. So it's not odd.

As for the 198L mile car. What do you plan to do with this car? You are looking at a $12K-$13K car that might need $3-$7K in repairs.

I know people who drive C5's with over 300K on them. But they baby their cars, they are always washing and fixing and tending to them. These cars have ben treated as children.

Questions you should ask: How many owners has the car had? Were any of the owners friend or family of the owner before them?

Things to do: Get carfax on it. Also find a local used Corvette dealer and see what they are offering in the likes of the car. Join a Corvette club!!! Checkout Lone Star Corvette Club (LSCC.com I think) Club members with cars for sale usually will cut members a discount or be more open to telling all the stories behind the car. Good and bad. Also, most Corvette clubs have connections with dealers and repair facilities that can get you discounts on work done.

I don't know you budget, but I will assume it's pretty low if you are looking for a "beater" car. I say go to a used Vette dealer, up your budget 50% get the extended warranty and spend yout time driving the car and not saving money to fix a beater up to drive. In the long run, the added expense in the payment will save you money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode